Cyrus IMAP 'CAPABILITIES' and 'AUTH=PLAIN'
Marty Lee
2018-11-01 21:25:43 UTC
Forgive me asking this question, we’ve just had a server disk that’s starting
to die in a remote location, and I’m frantically trying to clone some IMAP
users onto another server - along with a number of other things.

Despite imapd.conf having 'allowplaintext: yes’ (it’s an internal server)
when logging in, ‘AUTH=LOGIN’ isn’t advertised, yet it works if I manually
try to login. ‘imapsync’ is complaining as it can’t see the LOGIN capability.

I’m about to start looking at the code, but if anyone can let me know if a
setting needs changed, that would be great - clearly, I’ve got a number of
things to try to get off this server ASAP, so any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Server version is 3.0.4:

[***@imapserver /opt/local/etc/cyrus]# nc localhost 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE] imapserver Cyrus IMAP 3.0.4 server ready
0 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE ACL RIGHTS=kxten QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY CATENATE CONDSTORE ESEARCH SEARCH=FUZZY SORT SORT=MODSEQ SORT=DISPLAY SORT=UID THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS ANNOTATEMORE ANNOTATE-EXPERIMENT-1 METADATA LIST-EXTENDED LIST-STATUS LIST-MYRIGHTS LIST-METADATA WITHIN QRESYNC SCAN XLIST XMOVE MOVE SPECIAL-USE CREATE-SPECIAL-USE DIGEST=SHA1 X-REPLICATION URLAUTH URLAUTH=BINARY COMPRESS=DEFLATE X-QUOTA=STORAGE X-QUOTA=MESSAGE X-QUOTA=X-ANNOTATION-STORAGE X-QUOTA=X-NUM-FOLDERS IDLE

Many regards

Marty
Dan White
2018-11-01 21:33:04 UTC
Post by Marty Lee
[...]
I would guess you are missing libsasl2 modules for authentication, which
your OS probably has packaged in a separate package. You can use
pluginviewer/saslpluginviewer to view existing plugins.
----
To Unsubscribe:
https://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/mailman/listin
Marty Lee
2018-11-01 22:01:02 UTC
Post by Dan White
I would guess you are missing libsasl2 modules for authentication, which
your OS probably has packaged in a separate package. You can use
pluginviewer/saslpluginviewer to view existing plugins.
Awesome - was looking in entirely the wrong location (assumed it was a
Cyrus thing) and never even contemplated it might be a SASL thing;
especially as users could authenticate against it, even without the
CAPABILITY being shown.

Accounts now syncing, so hopefully we can get this system out of service
by tomorrow…

Thanks again…

marty

----