cyrus imapd ssl against mac osx mail.app
Joseph Silverman
2005-12-01 00:59:22 UTC
We are trying to migrate from uw-imap to cyrus-imap.

In the process, in order to test things, I have started cyrus-imap
with services for imap on port 1431, for imaps on port 9931.

I can create an account on mail.app that talks to port 1431 just fine
- no problems, it just works.

When I create an account on mail.app with ssl set and port 9931, it
fails to connect.

Connecting to uw-imap on the same server (at port 993 of course)
works without a hitch.

Of note:

1) I have "real" certificates (thawte) - I configured /etc/imapd.conf
with the key and crt file, no ca file.

2) I get a note in my log from cyrus imap saying that it couldn't
load the ca file, I guess this is ok, no idea.

3) One interesting note is that:

telnet MAILHOST 993
enter a few times

disconnects me with no message, Whereas

telnet MAILHOST 9931
enter a few times

disconnects me with * BYE Fatal error: tls_start_servertls() failed

4) imtest connects correctly, with some odd messages:

imtest -p 9931 -s MAILHOST
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)
S: * OK MAILHOST Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12-Invoca-RPM-2.2.12-1.1.fc3 server
ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN SASL-IR LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE LOGIN
S: + VXNlcm5hbWU6
Please enter your password:

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks - Yossie
Ken Murchison
2005-12-01 13:48:07 UTC
Post by Joseph Silverman
[...]
If imtest works, then the problem is most likely with mail.app not
liking the non-standard port. Have you tried a different client, e.g.
Mozilla?
--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer
Carnegie Mellon University
Joseph Silverman
2005-12-02 23:37:20 UTC
Situation ..

I would like to move a given user's email from uw-imap to cyrus (in
fact all users). While this is happening, I would like the users to
be able to access their email normally (as it is being moved, of
course) on cyrus.

I can make it so I can access the uw-imap mailbox for the user
without knowing his password (one line temporary hack to uw-imap to
allow for a "super password")

I can use the cyrus admin user to access the cyrus side at a "global
level".

I can then use a tool like imapsync to copy mailboxes from uw-imap to
cyrus easily enough.

What I can't figure out is how to move the INBOX. There appears to
be no "mailbox prefix" that when used with the cyrus admin user, will
put the email in the users INBOX (the special one where new email
lands, not a folder named INBOX under it!)

Thanks for any and all help - Yossie
Sebastian Hagedorn
2005-12-03 10:10:32 UTC

-- Joseph Silverman <***@laszlosystems.com> is rumored to have mumbled
on 2. Dezember 2005 15:37:20 -0800 regarding moving inbox from uw-imap to
Post by Joseph Silverman
I can use the cyrus admin user to access the cyrus side at a "global
level".
I can then use a tool like imapsync to copy mailboxes from uw-imap to
cyrus easily enough.
What I can't figure out is how to move the INBOX. There appears to be
no "mailbox prefix" that when used with the cyrus admin user, will put
the email in the users INBOX (the special one where new email lands, not
a folder named INBOX under it!)
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. The INBOX is just called (with
variations that depend on your imapd.conf settings), for instance,
"user/yossie". If you do proxy authentication (using admin for
authentication and actual user for authorization), which may be a little
"cleaner", then it's always called "INBOX". I don't know if imapsync allows
for proxy authentication.

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK
Universität zu Köln / Cologne University - Tel. +49-221-478-5587
Karl Boyken
2005-12-03 15:21:37 UTC
Yossie, when I was looking at imapsync, I ran into the same problem.
What I wound up doing was, I'd transfer the uw inbox into user/INBOX,
and then, I'd move the mail messages up out of the INBOX folder, do a
reconstruct, and delete INBOX. Then I'd transfer the rest of the folders.

Karl Boyken
----